Sunday, October 15, 2006

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...


Indeed. All of the sudden, my seven years in Edinburgh have come to an end. When I first arrived in Scotland to do my Master's degree back in 1998, I came for a year. When I returned for my PhD in 2000, I came for three. But some things take time, sometimes you do things you didn't intend to, and one thing leads to another. My PhD led to a post-doc and then to another. In January I began another three-year research post here in Scotland, so I would have had to be here until the end of 2008. Yet, once more, things took an unexpected turn. Out of the blue (well, almost) I got homesick, began missing my friends and family, plus I met K. Though there are still several items I haven't ticked of this list of 'Things for a foodie to do in Scotland', there's a lot waiting for me at home. It's time to go.

I've had wonderful time here in Edinburgh. Yes, the weather sucks, but at least the winters are really mild. I've met some wonderful people from all over the world, and made friends for life. I've had my fair share of haggis, neeps & tatties, learnt to tell my Gay Gordon from The Dashing White Sergeant at a Ceilidh. As an icing on a cake, I've now even tried the infamous Scottish delicacy, deep-fried Mars Bar (see photo above). The latter was offered in one Edinburgh chippy for £2.50 for a big portion with chips, £2.30 for a small portion with chips (not sure if the brown sauce and ketchup were included in the price), or if you're really mean, then you can just order the deep-fried Mars Bar for £1.00. Don't ask..

So last night I had a big farewell do at Chai Teahouse for my friends in Edinburgh & Glasgow (thanks to everybody* who came!!!) . It was a great occasion with good fingerfood and great cocktails. Their Black Tea Martini was lipsmackingly good, and I really enjoyed the house cocktails consisting of vodka, lemon juice and green tea.

In just a few hours I'll be catching a flight home via Manchester and Helsinki. I'll probably take few days off to recover from the ordeal, but soon I'll blog again. From a new kitchen, from a new place. I hope you'll be still here..

* Emma & Michael, Antonis, Nash, Merilin & Dominic, Annika W, Annika B, Wilfried & Niranjan, Galina & Alexandr, Oxana, Adi, David, Risto, Lea & Helmi & Halliki, Helen, Kersti, Kerttu, Melinda, James O, James M, Ryoko, Dianne & Peter, Annemieke & Georgios, Hashemi, Siim, Gorev, Ceci, Nenya & Richard.

26 comments:

Dave said...

You must have lots ofd treasured memories of yout time in Scotland and all that remains is to wish you a safe journey in the knowledge that you will return.

Bonnie said...

Good luck, Pille. It's so exciting for an old chapter to close and a new one to start. Travel safe and I'm really looking forward to new content in your new kitchen.

gemma said...

Good luck with your new life! We'll be waiting for you here :-)

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Pille! Will be waiting to reading your next post!

Anonymous said...

The best of luck, Pille! See you in your new kitchen! ;)

Alanna Kellogg said...

It's hard, closing a chapter even when the next one is much anticipated ... can't wait to see the new kitchen and life in Estonia!

Kalyn Denny said...

Very exciting, starting a new chapter in your life. I can tell you're the kind of person who makes the best of it, whatever you are doing. Looking forward to hearing about what is next.

Anonymous said...

Good luck for your return back home. I di exactly like you... I arrived here in 1998 but I am still here, you never know what it is going to happen in life.
Ciao.
Hope to see you soon blogging again.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Pille for your return home. It will surely take some adjusting back, and look forward to hearing more of your cooking experiences, in further afield places!

Anonymous said...

What a good experience it sounds you've had. I wish you all the best with your new move.

Hugs,
Paz

Ilva said...

Pille, I'm already waiting for posts about your new life so you better start soon if you don't me to come and get you!

Pene said...

And there will be some old friends to get reaquainted with, & a few new friends who've been waiting to meet you (like me). Tere tulemast!!

Johannes said...

Well then, not much to add here... I'm sure You'll do just fine. Keep in touch!

Nefritite said...

Hei Pille,

good luck with your new life! I can understand that you felt homesick.... In November I have been 7 years in Scotland, and only now have I started missing home - genuinely. My husband calls it the '7 year itch with Scotland'and I guess it's true..

Anyway, I hope you continue writing!!

Take care

Anita

BETUL said...

So it means you will be posting about your homeland's culinary treasures soon.. Yippee :)


Take care, Pille.

Thredahlia said...

Tere tulemast tagasi! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the move. I hope it works out well for you and look forward to news from the new kitchen!

ScienceMel said...

HiYa! Best wishes with this new adventure. Sometimes, those unexpected journeys are the best ones. Can't wait for the next installment(s) from 'home.'
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Take care and good luck! We'll be waiting for your first post from your new kitchen!!

Anonymous said...

Kindlasti on lahkumine magusalt kurb, aga tore Sind jälle kodumaal tervitada!

FH said...

Hi! Happy moving and I just found you!!:(

We lived in England for 5 yrs!! Moved here later! Good luck!!:)))

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Good luck and see you soon in your new kitchen with all new adventures!!! :) Can't wait to hear what's cooking in Estonia! :)

Shaun said...

Pille,
Have a safe journey back home. I, too, will be leaving my adopted home very soon. Not sure how I will feel about it as I have become quite attached. Fortunately Eric will be following me soon after. I look forward to your future tales of cooking in Estonia.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Unexpected turns and twists of live are "the salt in the soup" (is there a similar expression in English...?). I hope you enjoy your first days back home ;)

Anonymous said...

Pille,

Sorry to see you go.. keep up the blogging and good luck with the move!

Pille said...

Thank you for your kind words and wishes, everyone - much appreciated!