Friday, May 25, 2007

Copycat: Johanna's omelette and smoked salmon stack



On our recent trip to London, K and I stayed with my friend Johanna's for a weekend. During that time we had the pleasure of feasting - literally - every morning. We had eggs benetine or florendict on Saturday (great poached eggs!) an omelette layer cake with smoked salmon and rocket on Sunday (an impressive-looking layered affair), and a savoury clafoutis with cherry tomatoes and rocket on Monday (a 'requested breakfast' dish - I had the pleasure of eating this on the morning after Jeanne's & Johanna's blog birthday bash in June 2006, and couldn't wait to have it again). Each one of those breakfasts sounded & looked fabulous and tasted een better. But it was the omelette layer cake with smoked salmon & rocket that kept haunting us long after we were back home in Estonia. So it happened that we recreated Johanna's omelette layer cake at home last Sunday, when my friend Liis came for a Sunday brunch with her family. We followed Johanna's recipe to the letter as far as the omelette pancakes were concerned. Our resident pancake-expert (that's obviously not me, but K) did a good job and cooked no less than seven thinner-than-thin omelettes, six of which were perfect (and the seventh one had few beauty shortcomings).



The rocket leaves were picked from our windowsill garden, and partially replaced with some young spinach leaves. I also used salt-cured sliced trout, which I quickly pan-fried on a dry frying pan and drained on a paper towel to rid of excess oil. I then simply crumbled the fish between omelette layers, interlacing them with green leaves.

We served the omlette and smoked fish layer cake with a herby sour cream sauce (sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, salt), which nicely complemented the saltiness of the fish. And for the garnish, few extra rocket leaves from the window sill..

A great dish, believe me, and I heartily recommend that you go and check out that recipe yourself!

9 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Pille, this looks amazing. Even your use of trout is really brilliant. I loved this when I saw it on Johanna's and have been wanting to make this ever since. You brought it back to my memory.

K and S said...

That looks really nice! May have to try it myself :)

Mia said...

Oh, this looks too wonderful for words! I'm not really someone who can get organized enough for elaborate breakfasts, but I'm thinking this would make a great light(ish) lunch or dinner...

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

What an incredible breakfast! I wish I had such energetic friends.....

Valentina said...

Oh Pille, isn't this recipe beautiful! I am in love with it. And look at those thinner-than-thin pancakes.i am not sure whether i can reproduce that level of delicacy.but never mind. will just have to try. It sounds as if you had a great weekend.Some people are just naturally fantastic hosts.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm väga maitsev oli ja välja nägi ka kõik suurepärane nagu tavaliselt:)

Katie Zeller said...

Wow! could I ever tuck into that!
It looks fantastic and I'm making it next week - for a starter, though, not breakfast. I don't do early mornings well....

Johannes said...

Ma tavaliselt seda viga ei tee, et siia ilma söömata piilun...

Enam ei aita miski, peab poodi minema.

Jajah, tundub küll isuäratav

Pille said...

Meeta - it's a great recipe, highly recommended. Johanna used thin slices of smoked salmon, but I quite liked the flaked fish, so if you cannot find slices, try this..

K&S - please do - they're so worth it!

Deinin - for breakfasts, certainly not, but for brunch, yes (that's why I love weekends). But come to think of that, Johanna made these for breakfast. But it was a leisurely weekend breakfast after all:)

Lydia - thank you!

Valentina - I'm not sure I could reproduce such thin pancakes either, but luckily I've got K :) And yes, Johanna is a great host - it was my second time to stay with her..

Liis, tore, et maitses ja aitäh tulemast!

Katiez - it'd make a great starter, too. We had it as the main dish at 12pm brunch, as we're not too good with early mornings either:)

Johannes - no näed, keda ka näha on - rõõm! Eks mu blogi ongi isutekitajana mõeldud. Loodan, et said omletitorniga hakkama ja ei pidanud retseptivihjes pettuma:)