Friday, May 11, 2007

Rhubarb crumble



I hope you're not tired of my rhubarb posts just yet? I know you've had juicy rhubarb muffins, rhubarb & ginger jam and a creamy rhubarb pie already, but as there is still quite a lot of rhubarb left - no wonder, if you look at these pictures - then I've got a few more rhubarb recipes up my sleeve. Here's a crumble to you. You can add grated ginger, finely chopped rosemary, any other nuts (hazelnuts, pistachios, maybe even grated coconuts), a dash of orange juice to the crumble - you name it. Sometimes I add some grated nutmeg to the filling. And over the years I've realised that there's no need to crumble the crumble topping either. You just mix the oats, sugar and almonds, sprinkle on rhubarb and top with butter slices.

This crumble is especially delicious with softly whipped cream, but melted good vanilla ice cream would be a good substitute, too. If you're feeling really decadent, then you can add some freshly grated nutmeg to the cream.

Rhubarb crumble
Serves 6

500 grams rhubarb
100 ml sugar (white or demerara)
2 tsp cinnamon
some grated nutmeg (optional)

My 'lazy' crumble topping:
250 ml (1 cup) porridge oats
100 ml (almost 1/2 cup) sliced almonds
100 ml (almost 1/2 cup) sugar (white or demerara)
75-100 grams butter, thinly sliced

Wash the rhubarb stalks and cut into 1 cm chunks. Place into a buttered oven dish, add sugar and cinnamon and mix. (If you want to add some orange juice or zest, then now is the time).
For the crumble, mix oats, almonds and sugar and sprinkle evenly over rhubarb.
Dot small butter slices evenly over the crumble topping.
Bake at 200 C for about 20 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and rhubarb has softened.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

great advice about not having to crumble the crumble!!! its such a sticky job. will remember that those (few) times i make crumble, i love it but u know me n the kitchen r not best-friends. rhubarb-crumble sounds delicious. did u have the apple/rhubarb juice at petershams? its lovely.
congrats on ur newspaper article, wish i knew estonian...
yours, guro.

Anonymous said...

Not possible to get tired of rhubarb posts, oh no! Love them all!

Anonymous said...

I love the looks of your crumble topping! ;-)

Paz

Anonymous said...

I love rhubarb so please write more rhubarb posts :-) Your "crumble" looks very delicious!

lobstersquad said...

well, this rhubarb, apart from being wonderful, seems to keep awfully well! magic vegetable

Unknown said...

What bea said. Rhubarb is great, and I've got a ton growing right now. Post as many recipes for it as you like!

Chris said...

Thanks for all the Rhubarb posts. I love Rhubarb and seeing these recipes give me inspiration. Yum!

Anonymous said...

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ has some limericks about rhubarb & a song by John Clees as well as lots of recipes. I think I'll make rhubarb muffins next weekend.

Kerstin Klein said...

I hope I can try the Rhubarb crumble soon. It seems to be delicious.

Hi there, You have been tagged. To check it out have a look at my blog!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I could never tire of rhubarb posts. It's one of my favorites.

Pille said...

Guro - we had Petersham rose prosecco while there, so sadly no juice this time:) Try this crumble, it's lovely. Remember, however, that the no-crumble topping doesn't contain any flour, just oats. I'm afraid you still have to get your hands sticky when using plain flour..

Bea - seems that we two share a love for beets AND rhubarb:)

Paz - well, it looks pretty, and I bet whole oats are a lot healthier than flour as well!

Dagmar - I love how you grow rhubarb in a pot in your balcony. I would had never thought of that!

Ximena - it does. I've used 1-2 huge stalks per cake. And we've stored them in a cool garage, at about 5 Celsius, and they still look fresh and crisp. A magic vegetable indeed:)

Aurora - well, I've still got some 6 huge stalks left, which means another 4-5 cakes:)

Chris - you are welcome!

Pene - thanks, will have a look. I've made thoserhubarb muffins three times in a fortnight - they're wonderful!!

ksklein - thanks for tagging me! However, I did the 5 things you didn't know about me meme recently, and I don't think I can come up with another seven interesting facts about me just now:)

Susan - we might as well enjoy rhubarb while it's in season:)