Monday, December 10, 2007

Juhhei! I'm a 2007 Food Blog Awards finalist!



I've just read over at Wellfed Network that Nami-nami is one of the five finalists in the RURAL category of the 2007 Food Blog Awards. How exciting and what an honour!



I must admit that I was a wee bit baffled at first, as I consider myself a 100% city girl. But then I guess my frequent mushroom forageing trips (for saffron milkcaps, yellow morels and others), my proud and fruitful forest berry picking missions (lingonberries, bog bilberries, wild strawberries, cranberries, cloudberries - all regulars in our kitchen in one form or another) and general exploratory-culinary use of wild plants (making meadowsweet cordial, enjoying nettle soup, experimenting with ground elder pie, dressing up dandelion leaves and adding chopped wild garlic leaves to salads, drinking freshly collected maple sap and sweetening my tea with either dandelion 'honey' made of dandelion blossoms or flowering quince extract), not to forget my exciting encounter with these chicks (you can see more chicken photos here) - do give my blog and my cooking a slightly rural slant :)



It's a tough competition - I'm running against very strong (and rural:) Susan (Farmgirl Fare, who won the category last year) and Ilva (Lucullian Delights, also a finalist last year). In any case, I'm thrilled and pleased to have been nominated in the first place! I am very pleased to see many of my favourite foodbloggers as finalists in other categories - there's David Lebovitz running for Best Food Blog (Chef) category, Food Blogga's Susan for Best Food Blog (New) category, Bea, Matt and Meeta (how can one possibly choose between them???) for Best Food Blog (Photography), Susan (again!) and Molly for Best Food Blog (Post), Jeanne in Best Food Blog (Writing), and Heidi, Bea and Ilva in Food Blog of the Year category. I'm sad my blogging buddies Johanna, Melissa, Kalyn, Nicky and Alanna didn't end up in the finals, but then there's always next year :)



In any case, you can go and cast your vote until Friday, December 14th. For rural category, click here, for all other categories, see here.

21 comments:

Farmgirl Susan said...

Congratulations, Pille!

These photos are wonderful. Love the baby chicks hiding inside Mama. That's what Whitey's seven chicks did this summer--it was so cute!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! You really deserve this nomination - I enjoy reading your blog every day, and trying your recipes - they are wonderful! I especially love your estonian recipes since my grandparents left estonia in 1944 and came to canada, where we now live. It is great to celebrate our heritage through food and family gatherings!
Thanks again for making such yummy and beautiful food!
<3 Emma (from Toronto, Canada)

Bea said...

Go Pille! Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Pille.

Fabrizio

Greg said...

Congratulations! I've just found your blog and love it. I've linked you up on my blog roll. Good luck!

Evelin said...

palju õnne!
eks eestlased olegi ju kõik parajad maakad ja matsid:)

mis tuletab meelde, et pole ammu vanaema juures käinud. ahjah, jõulud tulevad...:)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Congrats Pille - I think you are doing a fantastic job here and you've got my vote!! Keep it up!

Suzana Parreira said...

Congrats! You absolutely deserve it - just voted. ;)

Maarja said...

oh sa tüdruk!palju õnne!

K and S said...

way to go!

Kalyn Denny said...

Congratulations! I am so happy you are a finalist. (And you're right,how to choose who to vote for in this category, as well as so many others!)

Ilva said...

Congratulations Pille, we're a nice bunch! I don't feel rural either but I guess I am. But I didn't win last year, Susan did!

Anne said...

Very well deserved! :)

lobstersquad said...

Congratulations, Pille, it´s very well deserved. And even though you´re a city girl, it´s a blog full of escapes from the city, so I see the point. That photo of the boat reminded me so much of our holiday, it made my day.

David T. Macknet said...

Yep - to the people who live in the heart of the city & who never make it outside, your blog would count as rural. You have a connection to the land, to the wild, which is terrifyingly absent in most people's lives. Good luck!

Gracianne said...

Felicitations Pille, you certainly deserve it.

Helene said...

Congratulations! I am thrilled for you!

Anonymous said...

Palju õnne, Pilleke! Sa peaksid kindlasti esikoha saama!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Congratulations!!
and I love the little mushrooms.

Andrew said...

I think that you are in this category because you cover a whole cuisine (not only your mushrooms hunts etc) rather than, say, restaurent reviews and markets, within a specific city (such as London or San Francisco).

Pille said...

Thank you, everybody, for your kind words and especially huge thank you for those of you who voted for me! I didn't one this year, Farmgirl Susan deservedly did so, but it was quite an honour to be nominated in the first place..
I wonder - if and in what category - will I be nominated in 2008 :)