Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Cheese, Garlic and Beetroot Bruschetta

I am so cheating here. There's no recipe as such, and it's not even a proper bruschetta (or is it, Susan?). But I didn't know what else to call it - a grilled cheese and garlic and beetroot bread is a bit clumsy.

But the 'recipe' is from our friend Kristel, who claims not to be a great cook. I don't know about that - I've had some pretty brilliant salmon at her place, and now this grilled sandwich. She's on a mission to fight winter fatigue with plenty of beetroot and garlic, and this is her favourite snack at the moment. She shared the recipe on the discussion board of my Estonian site last week, and three other readers immediately made this and praised it. So although I said recently that I won't bother you with my latest beetroot recipes just now, I thought it'd be unfair to keep this from you.

Thank you, Kristel!

A Cheesy-Garlicky Beetroot Bruschetta
(Grillitud peedi-küüslauguleib)



sliced white or dark bread
cream cheese
garlic, peeled and sliced
cooked beetroot, coarsley grated
cheese, coarsely grated

Spread the cream cheese on the bread slice, cover with garlic slices. Top with grated beetroot and grated cheese.
Place under a hot grill for 7-8 minutes, until the sandwich is warm and cheese begins to melt.

Enjoy!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Beet Princess ~ Isn't that amazing, please bother us with beetroot more often. (And wait til you see today's post!) "-)

Finla said...

I have never had anything like this with beetroot.
The colours look so inviting.

Mariajaan said...

Beets can be great! Most people learn to love them and for that recipes like this are the key. Good, tasty and easy ways to make it delicious. I like it very much!

Karolina Beaudet said...

I'm always very happy to read recipes with beetroots on your blog. I really like beetroots, but I've never really had good ideas of what to do with them.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Oh yes! This looks too good. I am just preparing my post for tomorrow and guess what veggie I am featuring?
This would taste great with roquefort or gorgonzola too!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've never seen a bruschetta like this -- it's gorgeous! I think maybe feta cheese would work with this, too.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You won't loose me with beet recipes.
Love this with garlic!

Anonymous said...

to add to the "beets please" chorus - please don't keep the beetroot recipes to yourself!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you make me see beetroot in a whole new brilliant light! :)

lobstersquad said...

I thought it was onion jam, first, but of course, coming from you...
Looks great.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Pille, I have never seen a bruschetta like this before - I'm sure it tasted delicious!

Anonymous said...

I have one beetroot left and since this looks delicious I might use it for your bruschetta.

La Tartine Gourmande said...

oh beets on a bruschetta. You know then that I am a fan!

Sharona May said...

Wow! That looks very interesting. I don't think I have ever tried beetroot. I love the picture.

Thanks
Sharona May

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh Yum! I am going to have this on a sandwich for work, although I think I will leave out the garlic for the sake of everyone else there!

ScienceMel said...

Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Thanks for another pleasant surprise.

Pille said...

Alanna – hello, Beetroot Queen :)

Happy Cook – well, I hadn’t either, until Kristel introduced me. My goat cheese and beetroot sandwich comes close, however.

MariaJaan – I’ve converted few of my friends already!

Karolcia – I’m glad to hear that my beetroot recipes are appreciated.

Meeta – yes, beets have affinity with most strong cheese.

Lydia – again – beet and feta go well together (see my beetroot tzatziki or Molly’s excellent-sounding beet and feta tart).

Tanna – thank god for that!

Arif – I won’t, promise :)

Joey – who would of thought of that!?

Lobstersquad – that reminds you that I very embarrassingly mistook a red onion jam for beetroot jam in a fancy restaurant recently. My girlfriends were utterly amused…

Patricia – yes, it did taste lovely!

Lore – hope you did try this!

Bea – or maybe beets on a tartine? :)

Sharona May – you must try beetroot a.s.a.p. – it’s excellent!

Holler – or wait until wet/green garlic is available in a few weeks -that doesn’t smell half as unpleasant.

ScienceMel – you’re welcome (and yes – I’m an avid believer of ‘simple is best’ school of thought).