Monday, September 06, 2010

Swedish 'jam kisses' or thumbprint cookies

Thumbprint cookies / Syltkyssar / Moosimusid
New photo, March 2011

We hosted a pretty crazy culinary tasting party at our house last Friday - surströmming tasting party. K's colleague had brought us a selection of fermented Baltic herring, an (in)famous Swedish 'delicacy' from 2009 and 2010, both fillets and whole fish. We served these with boiled 'almond potatoes', flatbread (tunnbröd) and condiments. I prepared a selection of savoury and sweet dishes to go alongside and after the challenging fish degustation. One of the dishes on the table was a plate full of piopular Swedish cookies 'syltkyssar' - literally, jam kisses (hope my Swedish is correct here :)). These are pale round shortbread cookies, usually filled with thick raspberry jam. I didn't have any raspberry jam at home, so I used a good blackberry conserve instead.

Thumbprint cookies syltkyssar
(Moosimusid)
yields about 20-30 cookies, depending on the size

Jam kisses / Syltkyssar / Moosimusid

200 g unsalted butter, softened
100 ml icing sugar/confectioner's sugar
240 g plain flour/all-purpose flour (400 ml)
100 ml potato flour/potato starch
a pinch of salt

thick raspberry or blackberry jam

Cream the butter with sugar. Mix flour, salt and potato starch, sift into the butter mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon.
Using your hands, take small chunks of cookie dough and roll into small balls. Place on a cookie sheet and press a thumb print onto each cookie.
Place a tiny spoonful of jam into the indent.
Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for about 15 minutes, until the cookies are light golden.

7 comments:

Annika B R said...

we also call them hallongrottor , xxx

Francesca said...

mmm... I could do them on friday... they look delicious!

Roxy said...

I made some, they are yummy x

Pille said...

Thanks, Annika! I had no idea!

Aunt Franci - they were tasty as well :)

Roxy - so glad to hear that!

Stefanie said...

Oh, my, fermented herring! I can't imagine...nor do I think I want to. Just saw an episode of "Globe Trekker" here in the States last week of travels around Scandinavia focusing on food in the various countries. Fermented herring was one of the things the hostess had to taste. She visibly gagged on camera and spit the offensive thing out!

Unknown said...

I just made these, using rosehip jam, and they are really tasty! Only I left them in the oven a tiny bit too long and the jam boiled and overflowed. Oh well!

Katrina said...

Pille, what did you think of surstromming?;)

I have tried it at this year's Oxford food symposium (I blogged about it) - a pretty khmkhm interesting affair. I was struck by how mild the fish actually tastes. As long as you deal with the smell..

what did you guests think?

(the cookies look both delish and simple, a perfect combo for me!)