Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Smoked salmon and potato gratin

Potato and salmon gratin / Kartuli-suitsulõhevorm

It's not always about lamb's tongue in Nami-Nami kitchen, you know. Most of the time I cook - and we eat - perfectly "normal" food. Here is one of my favourite weekday dishes. It's not exactly quick - that is to say, it won't be on your table within half an hour of walking in the door - but if you're at home anyway, just unable to stand in the kitchen watching keenly over your Sauce Bearnaise, then this is for you. It needs about 15 minutes of active involvement and then it simply cooks in your oven. Ideal for a mum like me :)

I've made this both with hot smoked salmon and cold smoked salmon over the years. I slightly prefer the latter one, but it's lovely with both.

Smoked salmon and potato gratin
(Kartulivorm suitsulõhega)
Serves 4

750 g potatoes
100 g smoked salmon, sliced
handful of fresh dill, chopped
2 large eggs
200 ml fresh cream
100 ml milk
freshly ground black pepper

Wash the potatoes, peel and cut into thin slices or matchsticks (I used the thick julienne cutter in my food processor).
Butter a medium-sized oven dish (I used a 30 cm round dish). Scatter half of the potatoes in the dish, sprinkle with dill and layer with salmon slices. Top with the remaining potatoes.
Season with black pepper.
Whisk eggs with cream and milk and pour evenly over the potatoes.
Bake in a pre-heated 175 C oven for about 1 hour, until potatoes are cooked (the exact time depends on the thickness of your potato slices or matchsticks).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yum that looks so amazing! Thanks for the recipe i am going to cook it for my flatmates on sunday :D

ChichaJo said...

This is absolutely something I would love...salmon in something creamy...mmm!

Marisa said...

This reminds me of Janson's temptation (swedish dish) - looks fab!

Pille said...

Ruby - did you enjoy it?

ChichaJo - trust me, it's a lovely dish with a Nordic flavour :)

Marissa- it does indeed! There is a recipe for Jansson's frestelse @ Nami-Nami as well, of course :)

Alanna Kellogg said...

So would this be hot-smoked salmon then vs cold-smoked??? #ConfusedButLickingMyChops ...

Pille said...

Alanna - interestingly, this dish would happily work with both, though I'd prefer cold-smoked salmon here.